Twitter Facebook RSS Feed
No Sacred Cows
Toby Young
Thursday 17th May 2012

Parenting classes are not the answer

When the government announced it’s new £5 million parenting project last week I thought I should offer to help. I have four children, after all, so know a thing or two about the subject. I sent a message via Twitter to the owner of the Parent Gym, one of the organisations involved in the scheme.

“I’d be happy to donate all my Spectator columns on parenting,” I said. “You could reproduce them as an example of what not to do.”

It was a joke, obviously. Middle-class dads trade anecdotes in the park on Saturday mornings about what crap parents they are, but the fact that they’re in the park with their children – usually playing football or cricket – demonstrates that they’re actually doing a pretty good job. (To read more, click here.)

COMMENT | COMMENTS SO FAR: 11 [ FIXED LINK ] Bookmark and Share

Comments page 1 of 1 - 11 post(s)

Re: Parenting classes are the answer
Posted by Mike Croft on 17-05-2012 17:34:

let’s call them the parents of the feral underclass,

You really are a Tory lite wanker aren't you?

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by Mike Croft on 17-05-2012 17:36:

...or just a poor stylist with an eye for attention? Or just a wanker. Period.

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by Toby Young on 17-05-2012 18:19:

Probably a bit of all three Mike.

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by anadrol test cycle on 19-01-2013 13:39:

For my Creative Writing class we have to write a short story, I really want to write some thing along the lines of Columbine, but I'm worried about the reaction of my teacher. As far as I know, he has no personal history with the idea, but ... I don't know. What would you want to see out of a short story for a creative writing class?.

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by Bologna escorts on 02-02-2013 01:03:

What is the best software to design websites and blogs?

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by elitnoe soprovozhdenie Moskva on 28-02-2013 11:23:

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post! It is the little changes which will make the biggest changes. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by buy anabolics on 22-03-2013 00:02:

I am usually to blogging and i actually respect your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your website and maintain checking for new information.

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by excorte girl on 29-03-2013 03:40:

Hello to all I cannot comprehend the way to add your site in my rss reader. Aid me, please

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by escorte Aix-en-Provence on 13-04-2013 16:49:

I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it?ll improve the value of my web site

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by escortes France on 18-04-2013 02:19:

Thanks a lot for giving everyone remarkably superb chance to read in detail from this blog. It really is so fantastic and also packed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office peers to search your site the equivalent of thrice in a week to learn the new things you have. Of course, I?m usually impressed with the dazzling solutions you give. Some 3 points on this page are surely the simplest I have ever had.

Re: Parenting classes are not the answer
Posted by Deca durabolin 50 mg on 21-04-2013 12:07:

You have brought up a very superb details , regards for the post. ;) ;)

Your name:

Twitter RT @DJack_Journo: Quam admirabile ... @thetimes is launching a weekly Latin crossword on Saturdays link link  (1 hour ago)

Why I'm a Conservative Teacher by Jonathan Porter -
Corbyn's Inconvenient Truth – He wanted the IRA to win -
Corbyn's first seven days -
Corbin's cabinet chaos by Darren McCaffrey -
Why I've become Tory scum by Tony Parsons -
Fact Check: Britain has admitted over 5,000 Syrian refugees, not 216 -
Inside Westminster's free school -
The BBC denied The Great European Disaster Movie was EU-funded. That was untrue -
Jeremy Corbyn's politics are a fantasy – just like Alice in Wonderland by Tony Blair -
Robert Conquest obit -
Reporting on fit for work deaths isn't fit for purpose -
Jeremy Corbyn is not an anti-Semite – it's so much worse than that -
The Timothy Hunt witch hunt by Jonathan Foreman -
West London Free School Primary praised in guide to best state schools -
In defence of free schools by Toby Young -
Data briefing: free schools by the numbers -
Malcolm Gladwell's books are books are analgesics for those who seek temporary relief from abiding anxiety by John Gray -
The hypocrisy of Mehdi Hasan by Guido Fawkes -
The election that never was by Damian McBride -
JK Rowling's new novel is boring, Left-wing agitprop by Jan Moir - Daily Mail
Naomi Wolf: Dotty and Dim by Zöe Heller -
Gove Levels - Daily Mail
The End of Men? by Hanna Rosin -
Five conservative messages smuggled into Dark Knight Rises by John Boot -
Multiculturalism? Nonsense. The Olympics are a victory for patriotism and common British values by Dan Hannan - Daily Mail
Martin Durkin's dyspeptic view of the Olympics opening ceremony -
Batman: The ultimate conservative hero by Robert Colville -
The day Gordon Brown came to power by Damian McBride -
Owen Jones *is* Justin Beiber by Dan Hodges -
Why Britain shouldn't be part of a European super-state by Charles Moore -
The shame of Britain's public school elite by Matthew Norman -
In defence of Murdoch by John O'Sullivan -
In politics, you're either up or down by John Kampfner - The Independent
James Lovelock recants - Daily Mail
Let's give Polly Toynbee the Britain she wants by Tim Worstall -
Why Labour should support free schools by Andrew Adonis -
Free schools are breaking down barrier to decent education for all by Charles Moore -
The anti-academies campaign is led by Trots, says Michael Gove -

• Buy the book on

• Buy the book on

• UK Book Cover

• Buy the book on

• Buy the book on

• Audio Book Cover

• Buy the audio book from
    Whole Story Audio