SEARCH:
Twitter Facebook RSS Feed
No Sacred Cows
Toby Young
Thursday 21st June 2012

Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel

COMMENT | COMMENTS SO FAR: 11 [ FIXED LINK ] Bookmark and Share

Comments page 1 of 1 - 11 post(s)

Lefties have Mr Young
Posted by JH on 22-06-2012 09:36:

You must be doing something right Toby.

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Irascible Old Git on 22-06-2012 13:05:

I saw this live, and enjoyed it immensely – the man got truly hysterical.

Mind you, the Beeboid who started pontificating about how Gilbert's description of Singapore as ‘a fascist state’ was verboten was hardly more rational.

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Dave on 22-06-2012 13:25:

Oh come on Tobes and balance it out by posting your near unhinged performance against Michael Rosen on Sky News yesterday.
You are many negative things (Way too many for any normal person) and I'm always confused that you made a living out of your character flawes, most people strive to fix them.

But yesterdays attempt at a snarling wanabee thuggish PR trumpet for the idiot boy Gove startled even me. And my 3 year old.
"Daddy who is that?"
"That's the man who wrote Bear Hunt."
"Oh I like him. But why is the other man being so horrid ?"
"He's a Tory."

Nasty work.

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Francis Gilbert on 22-06-2012 18:49:

So it’s late at night, I’m not feeling that well, and I’m asked by the BBC to comment on Michael Gove’s proposals to return to O Levels with Toby Young. He and I do have ‘history’; whenever he takes a chance, he has a pop at me. Furthermore, Gove’s proposals about returning to O Levels do really worry me.

I felt drowned out by Toby’s irrelevant drivel about England slipping down the world league tables; this — this simply wasn’t the topic for discussion and yet it was the only thing he was able to talk about — and wanted to stress the point that returning to O Levels will be a disaster if it happens. I am particularly concerned about right-wingers like Michael Gove and Toby holding up Singapore as a shining example of good practice when we all now that it is what one might politely call an “autocratic” state but, as I say on air, it could be more accurately described as a fascist one; dissenting voices are regularly silenced, and you can get jailed for very minor infringements of the law. The education system there clearly is there to prop up what is a corrupt regime; it may be very nice to visit as a tourist, but living there is clearly another matter entirely. Of course, if we had a fascist state here, we almost certainly would get better exam results than we currently do, but fortunately, we live in a democracy where you’re allowed to air your views and express your emotions without the fear of being carted off by the secret police. Children here have to learn to negotiate and deal with the freedoms they have partly in school; we no longer can beat children or imprison them for minor misdemeanours. This is as it should be.

I still stand by the points I was making on the BBC news channel about O Levels being a totally inadequate exam and don’t, at this point, feel that bad about my “robust” delivery. Some people liked it, others hated it; whatever you think, it makes for quite lively TV. But I notice that the right-wing are after me on this one; I’ve even got Guido Fawkes and the Toadmeister himself blogging about me! I made no personal remarks, I was just trying to stick to the argument; my tone, yes, was an angry one, but I feel passionate about this issue and feel that dissenting voices are being drowned out in the media. Especially, the voices of teachers. The relentless attack on our profession is utterly depressing and I feel totally demoralised by them; yes, I do feel angry, very angry at this miserable government’s policies and all of its cheerleaders for relentlessly saying that we’re rubbish. Can you give us a break?

I represent no organisation, I’m certainly no hired ‘union’ hand and certainly wouldn’t describe myself as left wing; as Guido Fawkes says I once sent my child to a private school and I supported my local school becoming an academy. What worries me the most at the moment is the way we assess our children; GCSEs could be so much better and do need to be stripped down. Personally, I think teacher-assessment would be much better at 16; teachers are best placed to assess the whole child, not just the very narrow range of skills that GCSEs assess; O Levels, without the coursework element or the assessment of things like speaking and listening skills, are far, far narrower than our existing GCSEs. We need give the power to teachers to assess how our children are doing in all spheres: their problem-solving skills, their initiative, their ability to come up with new ideas, their creativity. This is best done within the context of the classroom and in a “non-threatening” atmosphere so that these assessments can be used to improve a child’s skills. This is what the Finnish do, and have the top performing education system in the world as a consequence.

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Gove is God on 23-06-2012 21:19:

You start by saying 'I felt drowned out by Toby’s irrelevant drivel about England slipping down the world league tables' then finish with 'this is what the Finnish do, and have the top performing education system in the world as a consequence'.

Which is it to be?

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Michael, Manchester on 24-06-2012 00:09:

Mr Gilbert,if you were happy enough to send your own child into the iniquitous system of private education, why do you now get so upset about the return of O levels? Your stance seems muddled as you deny being remotely left wing, as if that's some kind of terrible slur.

I watched your performance live on the BBC and was uplifted by your attack upon Tory Young and his divisive and deeply unfair advocacy of a two tier system and his lauding of Singapore, but there's no need to now be defensive in your protection of equality and fairness. Don't be afraid of the likes of Young and his pals in the right wing press. There is no need to disavow the GCSE, it was Thacher who abolished the old O level/CSE two tier formula.

We need a fully egalitarian system if every child is to prosper, and by the way I was educated in the GCSE era in inner city Manchester, coming from a family on welfare. I'm not the champagne socialist the right wing press loves to mock. Let's underline the fully comprehensive system, scrap the charitable status of private schools, trust our teachers to serve all pupils in the way they always do, and restore the university grant and scrap loans. This for starters.

What we need is the opportunity for all to achieve their potential regardless of family background and income, and that isn't done by separation or by entrenching division the division between the few and the many. Those who wish to see such a society can pay for private education whilst the rest of us implement a policy of public money spent in treating all public schoolchildren to the same education system, with the government guaranteeing as equitable a share of resources and good practice as is humanly possible.

Good job on News 24 but be more verbose and less defensive of progressive and fully inclusive values. We must cherish the universal concept initiated in 1945 and entrenched by both major parties in subsequent governments. Thank God the Attless government did what it did, for its achievements certainly wouldn't be invented today.

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Michael, Manchester on 24-06-2012 00:34:

We need a fully egalitarian system if every child is to prosper, and by the way I was educated in the GCSE era in inner city Manchester, coming from a family on welfare. I'm not the champagne socialist the right wing press loves to mock. Let's underline the fully comprehensive system, scrap the charitable status of private schools, trust our teachers to serve all pupils in the way they always do, and restore the university grant whilst scrapping loans. This for starters.

What we need is the opportunity for all to achieve their potential regardless of family background and income, and that isn't done by separation or by entrenching the division between the few and the many. Those who wish to see such a society can pay for private education whilst the rest of us implement a policy of public money spent in treating all public schoolchildren to the same education system, with the government guaranteeing as equitable a share of resources and good practice as is humanly possible.

Good job on News 24 but be more verbose and less defensive of progressive and fully inclusive values. We must cherish the universal concept initiated in 1945 which was entrenched by both major parties in subsequent governments. Thank God the Attlee government did what it did, for its achievements certainly wouldn't be invented today.

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Peter Collins on 24-06-2012 08:25:

I would not want this loon teaching my kids.

Re: Francis Gilbert loses it while debating me on BBC News Channel
Posted by Judy Birching on 25-06-2012 03:11:

I am gobsmacked that the bald twat is taking the moral highground. Perhaps his alcohol intake and gak consumption in his former life has addled his brain. I wouldn't my children anywhere near a school leader who coked himself senseless then bragged about it to the papers.

Drugs fuck your brains kids. Keep away from them and keep away from Toby Young. Bad example to young people.

For The Love Of Gove
Posted by Dave on 25-06-2012 16:45:

Like I said, why ON EARTH would you accept being so disliked ? You got it right Judy, ex-coke head Tories really ain't much use to anyone. Apart from the Gove child who no doubt finds Toby's fawning over his every fart and belch a total hoot.

If I had a free school and a nice house I'd probably be a nice person and do that keeping myself to myself thing.

wacgyig
Posted by wacgyig on 16-01-2013 08:40:

zcwjaz

Your name:

Subject:

Comment:

Twitter RT @spectator: If you want an argument against state-school-only Oxbridge colleges, just look at me, says @toadmeister link  (2 hours ago)

BEST OF THE WEB

In defence of free schools by Toby Young - standpointmag.co.uk
Right to sleep with children was a "civil liberty" supported by the NCCL by Andrew Gilligan - telegraph.co.uk
Woody Allen allegations: Not so fast by Bob Weide - thedailybeast.com
That's it. If the BBC don't don't want me on I'm boycotting them by Dan Hodges - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
Boris Johnson says Tristram Hunt should resign - telegraph.co.uk
In defence of my sister by Dominic Lawson - Daily Mail
Data briefing: free schools by the numbers - newschoolsnetwork.org
Malcolm Gladwell's books are books are analgesics for those who seek temporary relief from abiding anxiety by John Gray - newrepublic.com
Bring back the National Liberal Party by Nick Boles - brightblueonline.com
The hypocrisy of Mehdi Hasan by Guido Fawkes - order-order.com
Ed Miliband is a copper-bottomed loser by the New York Times - nytimes.com
I'm a proud Yid, even if I hate Spurs by Anshel Pfeffer - haaretz.com
Pro-BBC article in the Mail shock! - Daily Mail
Ed Miliband is no leader. He's a vulture by David Aaronovitch - thetimes.co.uk
21 more middle class problems - buzzfeed.com
Intolerance of humanists who attack faith schools by Brendan O'Neill - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
Glenn Greenwald's dishonesty by Louise Mensch - trendingcentral.com
Arrest of journalist's partner price worth paying for national security by Dan Hodges - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
The 13 Most Guardian Headlines Ever - buzzfeed.com
Twitter troll hysteria is a classic moral panic by Brendan O'Neill - spiked-online.com
MC Gove in da house by Michael Deacon - telegraph.co.uk
The criminalisation of journalism by Mick Hume - spiked-online.com
Michael Gove gives Sir Humphrey lessons in letter-writing by James Forsyth - Daily Mail
Why educationalists hate Michael Gove by Frank Furedi - spiked-online.com
Ed Miliband is the new Neil Kinnock by Trevor Kavanagh - thesun.co.uk
Check my privilege? B****cks to that by Louise Mensch - unfashionista.com
Wind farms are a waste of space by top climate scientist - Daily Mail
Profile of Nigel Farage by Edward Docx - prospectmagazine.co.uk
Win a Leveson love birds holiday in Santorini! - thesun.co.uk
Far-Left teachers hijacking protests against Gove - telegraph.co.uk
Margaret Thatcher: The softer side by Andrew Roberts - telegraph.co.uk
Margaret Thatcher: Warrior by Matthew Parris - thetimes.co.uk
Margaret Thatcher: Punk savior by Niall Ferguson - nytimes.com
The truth about Hacked Off by Andrew Gilligan - telegraph.co.uk
David Miliband was a morally corrupt profiteer by Peter Oborne - telegraph.co.uk
Hard left credentials of Gove's "academic" critics by the Daily Mail - Daily Mail
Muslims infected by virus of anti-Semitism by Mehdi Hasan - newstatesman.com
Britain's draconian new press regulations will stifle freedom of speech by the New York Times - nytimes.com
The politicians' revenge on the press by Quentin Letts - Daily Mail
The press is the last bastion of free thinking by Melanie Phillips - Daily Mail
May Day, May Day by Matthew Norman - The Independent
Mila Kunis interviewed by hapless Radio 1 DJ - gawker.com
Postmodern Tories by Roger Scruton - prospectmagazine.co.uk
Profile of Michael Gove - Daily Mail
David Cameron is a man of principle among pygmies - Daily Mail
The mafia links of a former Hollywood mogul by Bryan Borrough - Vanity Fair
The Wired magazine article that inspired Argo by Joshuah Bearman - wired.com
Panic! The anatomy of a political crisis by Dan Hodges - totalpolitics.com
The British intelligentsia's libel against Israel by Melanie Phillips - melaniephillips.com
Review of Joseph Anton: A Memoir by Zöe Heller - nybooks.com
Is Esquire's interview with Megan Fox the worst piece ever written? by Jamie Lee Curtis Taite - vice.com
How Moore, Burchill and Featherstone all had a lovely bitch fight by Rod Liddle - The Spectator
Julie Burchill's censored article on the trans lobby - webcache.googleusercontent.com
The great aid mystery by Jonathan Foreman - The Spectator
How Les Mis taught me how to hate again by Matt Walsh - themattwalshblog.com
Fairness is at the heart of Osborne's strategy by Matthew d'Ancona - telegraph.co.uk
Jim Dowd MP v the Spectator by Fraser Nelson - The Spectator
The Guardian has become the Vichy Evening News by Dan Hodges - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
Spectator would defy new state regulator by Fraser Nelson - The Spectator
The Leveson Inquiry is the Left's chance to avenge itself on the Right by Benedict Brogan - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
Daily Mail investigation into the Leveson Inquiry - Daily Mail
JK Rowling's new novel is boring, Left-wing agitprop by Jan Moir - Daily Mail
Getting rid of Cameron would be electoral suicide by Simon Heffer - Daily Mail
Naomi Wolf: Dotty and Dim by Zöe Heller - nybooks.com
Gove Levels - Daily Mail
The End of Men? by Hanna Rosin - theatlantic.com
Posh-bashing is usually hypocritical balls by Hannah Betts - Guardian
Five conservative messages smuggled into Dark Knight Rises by John Boot - pjmedia.com
Multiculturalism? Nonsense. The Olympics are a victory for patriotism and common British values by Dan Hannan - Daily Mail
Dissenters are cast out in the name of "inclusion" by Melanie Phillips - Daily Mail
Martin Durkin's dyspeptic view of the Olympics opening ceremony - martindurkin.com
Batman: The ultimate conservative hero by Robert Colville - telegraph.co.uk
Why the Tories need to grow a pair by Dan Hodges - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
The day Gordon Brown came to power by Damian McBride - dpmcbride.tumblr.com
Owen Jones *is* Justin Beiber by Dan Hodges - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
Why Britain shouldn't be part of a European super-state by Charles Moore - telegraph.co.uk
Fixing Britain's character flaws by Anthony Seldon - telegraph.co.uk
The shame of Britain's public school elite by Matthew Norman - telegraph.co.uk
In defence of Murdoch by John O'Sullivan - nationalreview.com
In politics, you're either up or down by John Kampfner - The Independent
James Lovelock recants - Daily Mail
Let's give Polly Toynbee the Britain she wants by Tim Worstall - blogs.telegraph.co.uk
Why Labour should support free schools by Andrew Adonis - newstatesman.com
Free schools are breaking down barrier to decent education for all by Charles Moore - telegraph.co.uk
Arrest of Sun journalists poses threat to press freedom - totalpolitics.com
The anti-academies campaign is led by Trots, says Michael Gove - bbc.co.uk
Lasagne-gate - Daily Mail
Profit need not be a dirty word in education by Fraser Nelson - telegraph.co.uk
Osbornism by Matthew D'Ancona - thisislondon.co.uk
Can Michael Gove save Britain's schools? by Simon Heffer - Daily Mail
The Magnificent Victory at Cardinal Vaughan by Charles Moore - telegraph.co.uk
Michael Gove and the nest of vipers by Ian Birrell - Daily Mail
Academies policy has been rapidly vindicated by Fraser Nelson - The Spectator
Mossbourne Academy's outstanding A-level results - Guardian
I blame therapy culture for the riots by Dennis Hayes - thefreesociety.org
Phone-hacking rage is Caliban raging at his own reflection by Dominic Lawson - The Independent
Why I'm a Conservative by Toby Young - nosacredcows.co.uk
The Government must crack the teaching unions by His Grace - archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com
"Ideological" is Labour's empty insult by Dominic Lawson - The Independent
There is an alternative to the cuts – deeper and faster cuts - conservativehome.blogs.com
Leader of UK Uncut is middle class Oxford graduate - Daily Mail
Stephen Glover on the real magnitude of the cuts: Just 3% in real terms in the lifetime of this Parliament - Daily Mail
Peter Sissons dissects the BBC's leftwing bias - Daily Mail
Student protester privately-educated Cambridge undergraduate with father worth £78m - Daily Mail
Ed Balls gave £600,000 of taxpayers' money to the football team he supports - Daily Mail
Dominic Sandbrook on the rise of the Political Class - Daily Mail